*Please note that sessions and speakers are subject to change due to the rescheduling of this event.
Monday, Oct. 5 | Opening Hour | 9:30am - 10:30am
Opening Session 101 . State of the Multifamily Industry
- Are we overbuilt in the Texas markets? If so, when do you expect to see concessions abate?
- What amenities are really resonating with residents? What will they pay more for?
- What new technology is really helping the bottom lines of the asset the most? Market, ops, resident fraud screening, website innovations, due diligence or inspection tools, etc.
- Will your firm build or acquire more properties in 2020 than 2019?
Moderator: Stacy G. Hunt, Executive Director - Greystar
Steve Lamberti, CPM®, President - Starwood Multifamily Partners / Highmark
Jeremy Edmiston, Senior Vice President, Client Services - Pinnacle
Margette Hepfner, Chief Operating Officer - Lincoln Property Company
Hour 2 | 11:00am - 12:00pm
Session 201 . Beyond the Agencies: Exploring Financing Options for Multifamily Housing
- When agency financing with Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae may not be an option for a multifamily borrower
- Financing options for emerging multifamily development and redevelopment strategies such as turning a block of units into Airbnb
- Alternatives to agency financing for multifamily projects: private funding, specialty lenders, credit unions, community banks, family offices and investment funds
- Debt and equity portions of the capital stack for multifamily projects, particularly those that are not a good fit for agency finance
- Criteria that non-agency multifamily sources of debt and equity use when determining which projects to finance
Duane Hewlett, Director, CRE Portfolio Manager - Northrop Grumman FCU
Brett D. Forman, Executive Managing Director - Trez Capital
Ben Kadish, President - Maverick Commercial Mortgage
Session 202 . Top NOI Opportunities
- Top ancillary initiatives that many firms are implementing
- Tips and tricks to curb property expenses
- New ways to drive rents and maximize revenue
- Cutting-edge technology that is boosting marketing and operations efforts
Moderator: Ed Wolff, Chief Revenue Officer - LeaseLock™
Sharon Hatfield, Chief Operating Officer - CF Real Estate Services
Walt Lamperski, CPM® President - Stonemark Management, LLC
John Jeter, Sr. Vice President - Asset Management - Post Investment Group
Hour 3 | 12:15pm - 1:15pm
Session 301 . How to Bridge the Bid-Ask Spread in Today's Multifamily Investment Market
- What is causing the spread between ask prices and purchase values in today's market?
- How should investors go about sourcing opportunities today to minimize the risk of holding overpriced assets tomorrow?
- How are banks and other capital sources handling this potential overvaluation? Is it affecting deal flow and impacting capital costs?
- What is going to be the catalyst to tighten this spread? When do we see that happening?
Mark Allen, Managing Director - Greystone & Co.
Jorge Abreu, Managing Partner - Elevate Commercial Investment Group
Joseph Bramante, CEO & Co-Founder - TriArc Real Estate Partners
John Brickson, Director - Old Capital Lending
Hour 4 | 2:30pm - 3:30pm
Session 401 . The Changing Multifamily Landscape
- Perspective of institutional capital - 2019 vs. 2020
- Class A/B/C trends
- Workforce housing
- Secondary market changes and underwriting/operational challenges
Moderator: Brian O'Boyle, Sr., Vice Chairman - Newmark Knight Frank
T. Gregory Kraus, Managing Director, Acquisitions - Invesco
Michael Becker, Principal - SPI Advisory LLC
Hour 5 | 3:45pm - 4:45pm
Session 501 . Multifamily Capital Markets Update
- What is the outlook for capital in 2020?
- Will the agencies continue to dominate?
- New sources of capital; will non-bank lenders continue their expansion?
- Emerging loan structures in a competitive world
- Will the securitized market continue to expand?
Moderator: Gary Bechtel, President - Money360, Inc.
Eric Khoa, Vice President - Wells Fargo Multifamily Capital
John Brownlee, Senior Managing Director - JLL
Kip Sowden, President & Chief Executive Officer - RREAF Holdings
Zach Murphy, Co-Founder & Chief Investment Officer - Pender Capital
Session 502 . Build your Tech Stack: Are Your CIO, CMO & Asset Manager on the Same Page?
- Know your customer: Learn how customer behavior can shape business strategy and technology implementation across your organization, from marketing to operations to asset management
- Create brand awareness: Adopt a blueprint from companies that mastered the art of ambient brand awareness and identify ways your marketing technology stack can help
- Driving leads and leases: How is your marketing strategy ushering them through the rest of the customer journey? Gain insight into automation techniques that employ real-time data and triggers
- Make your case for the technology you need: Uncover ways to measure the impact of marketing activities and back strategy with metrics aligned with real, tractable business goals
Moderator: Mike Whaling, President - 30 Lines
Matthew Mehon, Director of Marketing & Leasing - Waterton
Andrea Cosenza, Senior Director of Information Technology - City Club Apartments
Tuesday, Oct. 6 | Hour 6 | 9:30am - 10:30am
Session 601 . Multifamily Market Strengths and Risks: Investment Strategies for 2020
- Core/core plus/value-add: what’s the best approach for 2020? Is there value still in value-add investment? Given pricing, is core the better option? What about build-to-core?
- Which are the most attractive metro markets for 2020 investment and development? Do smaller markets offer opportunities?
- Is suburban garden product still outperforming or is it time again to invest/develop in urban infill?
- What are broader market trends governing opportunities and risks? Are we overbuilding the market? Will the expansion continue forever?
- Should investors and developers stay clear of rent-controlled markets? Are there hidden opportunities?
- Where are the opportunities in “alternatives” like single-family rentals?
Moderator: Jeanette I. Rice, Americas Head of Multifamily Research - CBRE
Ryan Davis, Chief Operating Officer - Witten Advisors LLC
David P. Evemy , MA, MRICS, Senior VP, Strategic Planning and Research - Sarofim Realty Advisors
Katie Bloom, Managing Director - Goldman Sachs
Session 602 . Boosting Your Property Value Through MRO Savings: Increase Your Property Value While Lowering Your Expenses in Maintenance, Repair and Operations (as well as other spend categories)
- What can commercial real estate owners do to keep their property values on the upswing in late cycle?
- Owners thinking outside the box of traditional real estate valuation levers
- Maximize late cycle returns, real estate investors must focus on increasing efficiencies through reducing costs
- Consider the benefits of discounted prices unavailable to single buyers by leveraging the collective aggregated spending of building owners, contractors and property managers
- How historically low cap rates creates an opportunity to generate substantial property valuation increases by employing novel, low-risk and no-cost methods to lower operating expenses and increase net operating income (NOI)
Moderator: Mark Dalisera, Executive Vice President - Qmerit, Inc.
Wais Khairzada, Corporate Director of Resident Services - The Bozzuto Group
Andrew Haynes, Strategic Growth Director - Avendra, LLC
David Abbenante, CPM®, President - HRI Management
Hour 7 | 10:45am - 11:45am
Session 701 . Private Subordinate or Creative Lending for the Underserved $1MM to $10MM
- Stretch senior financing
- Preferred equity vs. mezzanine
- Mezzanine / subordinate financing
- Coterminous long term (10+ years) paper
Moderator: Suzanne Jones, Senior Vice President/Senior Director-NorthMarq Capital
Jason Hull, Director of Business Development - Sabal Financial
Rod Reppe, Jr., Head of Southern Region - Argentic
Session 702 . Leasing Technology is Opening Doors: How Today's Technology is Shaping the Multifamily Leasing Process
- It's a Win-Win: The continued rise of leasing technology and self-guided touring represents opportunity for prospective renters, asset managers and leasing teams. Interactive maps and lock boxes enable self-guided touring, empowering busy renters to easily navigate multiple schedules and tour prospective residences completely autonomously. Asset managers and leasing teams gain lost time with focus redirected toward overall building management, executing lease-up strategy and providing quality service.
- Complementing Customer Service: How self-guided touring and respective leasing technology does not translate to a lack of quality customer service, rather serves to complement the leasing process and traditional tour experience.
- The Tech-Savvy Perception: Companies who strategically leverage technology are perceived as tech-savvy, an attribute that is increasingly appealing to consumers who prioritize technology themselves.
- Marketing Made Easy: Interactive leasing technology serves as an unexpected but powerful marketing tool. How interactive touch screens and maps allow operators to create and convey content which accurately showcase the community in one contained space
Moderator: Jessica Baxter, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships - Engrain
Beth Tuttle, ARM, NALP, Vice President, Marketing - LMC, a Lennar Company
Crystal Martin, Director, Multifamily Operations - Leon Capital Group
Closing Session | Hour 8 | 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Session 801 . Riding the Wave of Revenue Management: Tactical Strategies for Changing Markets
- Tactical strategies for conquering changing market conditions
- Take away client specific strategies used in changing market conditions
- Understanding actual strategies used by operators
Moderator: David Polewchak, Industry Principal, Asset Optimization - RealPage, Inc.