Hour 1: Monday, March 18th - 9:00am
Opening Keynote: Session #101 - Is 2013 Going to Look Like 2012 and 2011 for Apartment Transactions
2012 was another active year for apartment sales, but pricing seemed to peak for core assets and development became appealing for many core investors. What does 2013 look like? Will the changes in capital gains help or hurt the investment sales market?
Financing for apartments was readily available in 2012 at high LTVs and low rates. Will 2013 see a continuation of that?
REITS and institutional capital were both active buyers and sellers of apartments in 2012. Is the same level of interest there for core assets? Will there be more activity in the “value-add” space for apartments in 2013?
Transaction volume was high in 2012, with some slowing in the 4th Quarter. How does 2013 look for apartment sales throughout the sector?
Moderator: Collete English Dixon, Principal - Prudential Real Estate Investors
Susan L. Hill, Senior Managing Director - HFF
Susan Pohl, Vice President Acquisitions - KC Venture Group, LLC
Malcolm McComb, Vice Chairman, Investment Property Group - CBRE
Hour 2: Monday, March 18th - 10:45am
Session #201 - Capital Markets
Moderator: Steve Fried, Principal - Mesa West Capital
Jeffrey Fuller, Senior Vice President, Acquisitions - The Bascom Group
John Ahmed, Director - HFF
Kevin Westra, Director, Real Estate Investments - Northwestern Mutual Life Company
Matthew S. Mahaffey, Senior Investment Professional, Real Estate Investments - Nationwide Insurance
Session #202 - Threats to Multifamily
- Practical strategies for a Multifamily organization to overcome potential roadblocks
- How will you manage your online presence and reputation as technology continues to change?
- How to manage rent growth and expenses in 2013 and expectations you are setting with your clients accordingly
Moderator: Edward J. Wolff, Chief Operating Officer - Cortland Partners
Brad Cribbins, Chief Operating Officer/Executive Vice President - Alliance Residential Company
Melanie Gersper, Senior Vice President, Operations - Bell Partners
Justin Marshall, Executive Vice President Property, Operations - Fogelman Management Group
Hour 3: Monday, March 18th - 12:00pm
#301 - Student Housing Enters a New Phase
- Why this sector is attractive for investors
- Is there added risk in this sector that results in a higher cost of capital?
- Why management skill is so important in this sector
- The things that make owning/managing a student housing property different from conventional apartments
- Should a "newbie" develop new or buy existing - why?
- Positive signs and negative signs on the horizon
Moderator: Jim Arbury, Vice President, Student Housing
David J. Adelman, Executive Director - Campus Apartments
Donna Preiss, Founder & Chief Executive Officer - The Preiss Company
William Talbot, Chief Investment Officer - American Campus Communities
#302 - Texas Multifamily Trends
- How the development pipeline will affect property performance
- Cap rate and sales trends
- Tomorrow's multifamily landscape
Moderator: C. Will Balthrope, Executive Director - IPA Texas
Spencer Stuart, Senior Managing Director - Legacy Partners Residential Development, Inc.
John L'Huillier, Partner - Phoenix Capital Partners
Tom McDaniel, Senior Vice President - Fairfield Residential
Sharon Carbaugh, Senior Vice President - WRH Realty Services, Inc.
Hour 4: Monday, March 18th - 2:30pm
#401 - How Should you Finance Your Multifamily Deal
- Multiple options for high leverage low cost financing
- Which type of lender best suits you in this market?
- Bank, CMBS, Insurance company, REIT, Agency financing - what do the differences mean to you?
Moderator: David Soares, President & Chief Executive Officer - Lexden Capital, LLC
Billy K. Hurst, Vice President - Citigroup Global Markets, Inc.
Gregory D. Marks, Senior Vice President / Director of Originations - RAIT Financial Trust
Bernard P. Malone, Partner & Ceo - MUSA Financial, LLC (Mortgages USA)
Jonathan Gilfillan, Senior Vice President - Berkadia
#402 - Understanding the Customer Experience and Marketing to Your Customer
- Defining the customer experience
- Influencing the customer's experience through hiring
- Understanding and quantifying the value of the customer's experience
- Leveraging the customer experience for marketing purposes
Moderator: Francis Chow, Chief Strategy Officer - Ellis Partners in Management Solutions & Renter's Voice
Michelle Betchner, Vice President of Performance - Alliance Residential Company
Jennifer Staciokas, Vice President Marketing & Training - Lincoln Property Company
Greg Benson, Senior Director, Marketing - Greystar
Stephanie Fuhrman, Executive Vice President - Riverstone Residential
Hour 5: Monday, March 18th - 3:45pm
#501 - Exploring Joint Venture Equity for Multifamily Transactions
- What type of acquisitions are attractive to passive equity investors?
- How to get JV equity into your development deal
- Targeted, returns, markets and opportunities
- Key negotiation terms to optimize a joint venture
Moderator: David Eyzenberg, Principal, Investment Banking - Avison Young
Christopher Caltabiano, Vice President - AIG Global Real Estate Investment Corp.
Lawrence Palumbo, Managing Director - Blackrock, Inc.
#502 - State of the Multifamily Industry from an Owner/Management Perspective
- Overall health of the Apartment sector
- Impact of development on the market
- Ownership expectations-rent growth and returns
- Lenders perspective-will low
rate continue/underwriting tightening up?
- Best markets for 2013?
- Challenging markets for 2013?
- What do are the biggest
challenges for the sector?
- What are the various companies
doing to offset these challenges?
Moderator: Rick Graf, CPM - Pinnacle
Steve Lamberti, President & COO - The Milestone Group
Vic Clark, Managing Director - Centerline Capital Group
Scott Wilder, CPM, Senior Vice President - Lincoln Property Company
Hour 6: Tuesday, March 19th - 9:00am
#601 - Market Update on Development activity Across the United States
- Core vs. growth markets
- Buy, build or value-add?
- Geographic preference
- Rent and occupancy expectations in the coming years
Moderator: Jeffrey Meyers, President - Meyers LLC, A Kennedy Wilson Company
Mark Humphreys, CEO - Humphreys & Partners Architects, L.P.
Kimberly D. Byrum, Senior Director - Alvarez & Marsal Real Estate Advisory Services, LLC
G. Ronald Witten, President - Witten Advisors LLC
Ziv Cohen, Chief Operating Officer - Resmark Apartment Living
#602 - Merging Revenue Management and Business Intelligence to Outperform
- Baseline understanding of revenue management for multifamily
- Key metrics/critical data points to evaluate
- Best practices for reviewing/collaboration within your organization
Moderator: Keith Dunkin, Vice President, Business Development and Client Services, Yieldstar - RealPage, Inc.
Hale McNinch, Vice President, Revenue Management - Bell Partners
James Flick, Director of Revenue Management - Camden Property Trust
Hour 7: Tuesday, March 19th - 10:15am
#701 - Creative Value-Add Strategies
- Which regions, neighborhoods are best for value add transitions?
- What are examples of unique and successful value-add projects in Texas?
- Who are the players and capital sources for these deals?
- What techniques achieve the highest ROI?
Moderator: Michael Stein, Principal - Pensam Capital, LLC
Hanford Farrell, III, President - F&B Capital, LLC
Paul Cohen, Investment Partner - Westdale Asset Management
#702 - Gen Y on Gen Y: Debunking Myths About Our Generation’s Renters
- Debunk many of the popular myths about Generation Y
- Reveal the generation's complexity
- Identify opportunities for all sectors of the multifamily industry to serve them better
- Strategies for targeting Gen Y renters through property management, apartment development and marketing
Moderator: Jay Parsons, Manager, National Market Analysis - MPF Research / RealPage
Tyler Washburn, Design - Humphreys & Partners Architects
Max O. Reinbach, III, Director, Market Principals Group - Greystar Real Estate Partners
Jessica Humphreys, Market Analyst - StreetLights Residential
Brandy Mayr, Property Manager - Westdale Asset Management
Hour 8: Tuesday, March 19th - 11:30am
#801 - A Tale of Two Cities: Private Equity, Big and Small
- Equity Investments in Multifamily Properties: What is the current investment climate? Who has the upper hand in today's markets - equity investors or sponsors? Is there a log jam of investors and sponsors sitting on capital and properties? If so, what will break the jam?
- Investment Trends for Private Equity: Are investors only interested in looking at "trophy assets" in big markets or are they venturing out to the more distant secondary and tertiary markets?
- Return Expectations for Private Equity: Is there an opportunity for investors to find 20%+ yields still? Are they out there, or is it an unreasonable expectation?
Moderator: Eric Silverman, Managing Partner - Eastham Capital
Mitch Siegler, Co-Founder & Senior Managing Director - Pathfinder Partners, LLC
David Dowell, Director - The Praedium Group
John S. Sebree, Vice President - Marcus & Millichap
#802 - It's All About the Money: Industry Secrets to Energy and Water Savings in Multifamily Communities
- Learn about cost-effective ways to drive down utility expenses and gain operational efficiencies that extend the life of your building systems, improve resident attraction and retention, and enhance the cash flow of your communities
- Industry leaders will share insights into their award-winning sustainability programs focused on no-and low-cost best practices that cut costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Discuss the role of benchmarking to establish baselines, prioritize opportunities, and monitor and track progress over time
- Share the most cost-effective measures to reduce energy and water consumption such as lighting retrofits, strategies for replacing HVAC equipment, vacant unit operation optimization, water efficiency technologies, and other operational and maintenance measures
- Explore the role of resident engagement in sustainability initiatives
Moderator: Deborah Cloutier, Chief Operating Officer - JDM Associates
Dimitris Kapsis, CEM, CEP, Senior Vice President, Energy Management Solutions - American Utility Management
Nicholas E. Stolatis, CPM, RPA, LEED AP, Senior Director, Global Sustainability and Enterprise Initiatives, Global Real Estate - TIAA-CREF
David DeVos, Global Director, Sustainability - Prudential Real Estate Investors